BUSINESS PROCESS MAPPING - GETTING THINGS STRAIGHT
Process mapping can help your business - no matter what size or sector - tackle a number of threats or take advantage of a number of opportunities for your business. Some threats, issues or problems which you face could be:
- No single employee has a clear understanding of all related business processes;
- Your current systems are not effective enough: you need to be clear on the issues that are process-related versus systems-related;
- Processes used within your departments (e.g. administration, compliance, operations) may impact the processes associated with other departments, thus these processes need to be documented and understood by all;
- Current processes have evolved and been modified from within individual departments and teams, resulting in inconsistencies and data integrity issues;
- Lack of process documentation results in lower efficiency and productivity;
- Risks associated with not mapping these processes include automating current processes that may not be able to support increased growth / volume;
- When there are too many variables in a process then the process tends to have poor quality.
THE OPPORTUNITIES BUSINESS PROCESS MAPPING PRESENTS
The opportunities which you would be able to realise from Business Process Mapping are:
- Making sure you meet the needs of customers while complying with regulations;
- Communicating processes to others: at times it is necessary to be able to show a process to others. The visual structure of a business process map makes it easier to understand the process without having to read (and try to comprehend) a long, narrative description;
- The visibility of business processes allows for concentration on inefficiencies;
- Make sure work is done in line with the company's standards and policies;
- Process improvement and re-engineering: once a process is documented and understood, it can be analysed and continually improved;
- Onboarding new employees: having a set of documented processes for new employees to follow can shorten training time, put less strain on other staff members, and help to ensure consistency and continuity of output.
HOW WE CAN HELP
- Help you to identify the processes you want to document;
- Gather information from process participants via interviews or observations;
- Identify the start and end points of your processes;
- Break the processes into distinct tasks and decision points;
- Map them against your operations, also looking at areas for improvement;
- Produce a Process Manual for your organisation.
See how ISOs can improve your business - get a completely free, no obligation, totally tailored ISO Gap Analysis
ISO systems: improvement & innovation - see our eBook! ISO systems: improvement & innovation - see our eBook!
Grab your copy of this fantastic eBook by the MD of The Ideas Distillery, Russell Lawson...
In this eBook we look at how ISO management systems put you on the road to continuous and genuine business improvement and innovation, and how you can implement them without breaking the bank.
“The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.”
– Helmut Schmidt, German politician
Buy it directly here for just £12.99 - and start your ISO journey!